1.18.2010

Biscuits and Gravy


This is a picture of the biscuits and gravy I made yesterday morning. As my entire family slept.  At first I was jealous of them, but then I thought, Awwww, I love them so much...I'll make them some biscuits and gravy for when they (finally) wake up! 

These two recipes are both wonderful!  The biscuits are so crumbly and they just seem to melt in your mouth.  And the gravy is just perfect - not too heavy or thick, and with just a little bit of spiciness to it.   It's THE best sausage gravy recipe that I've ever made. 

Here's how to make it:

Biscuits

3 c. flour
2 T. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 T. sugar
3/4 c. shortening (I use Butter Flavor Crisco)
1 c. milk

Directions:
-Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Mix together dry ingredients, and cut in shortening until the mixture is crumbly.  Gradually add milk and mix just until combined.  Place dough on a floured surface and roll 3/4 inch thick.  Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter, or a glass!  I use a glass because I have never had a biscuit cutter.  :)  Bake 9-10 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet.  Do not overbake. 

Sausage Gravy

1 pound ground pork sausage
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup all purpose flour
hot sauce (I use tabasco)
Salt to taste
3-4 cups water

Directions:
-For this recipe, I always use my cast iron skillet.  Which I LOVE.  It's about 10 years old now, and it is my favorite skillet.  Of course this recipe can be made in a regular skillet as well. 
Place the sausage in your skillet, and turn the heat to medium.  Shake a few drops of hot sauce into the raw meat as you break it up.  For some reason, it's not the same if you add the hot sauce after the meat is cooked.  It needs to be added when the meat is still raw. 
When the meat is brown & crumbled and the fat is rendered, stir in the flour.  Completely coat the flour with the rendered grease.  You don't want to see any of the white flour.  It should be like brown crumbly pieces of sausage and coated flour. 
Now add the evaporated milk, and some of your water, maybe a cup, stirring constantly.  Break up the flour crumbles as you go.  It should get very thick very fast.  Keep adding water and stirring, until you reach the desired consistency. 
Add salt to taste.  You can also add pepper, but I like it with just the salt and hot sauce.
Ohhh it's sooo delicious!  Try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment